Main Text: 1Pet.3:1-7
Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.(1Pet.3:7)
The most significant and constant person in your life is your spouse. By reason of tenure, which in most cases is for at least two thirds of your entire lifetime, and closeness, your spouse is the person that will make the greatest impact in your life whether for good or otherwise. It is therefore a relationship that you should handle with utmost care.
The above is so true in the life of any person but in the life of a minister of God, it is more so. The success or otherwise of any vision depends to a large extent on the spouse and the home of the visionary. A problem in the marriage of any committed Christian or a minister of God speaks louder than any other problem in his life and ministry.
If you are reading this and you have a contrary opinion, you are likely to belong to one of the categories below:
• Your are divorced or separated.
• Your home is in disarray.
• You have an alternative attraction to your spouse.
• The trust you have in your spouse has been eroded.
• You have unwholesome friends.
• You have a questionable foundation in ministry.
• You don’t understand the reason why your spouse is such a problem for you in ministry.
• You married against the will of God.
If you are in any of the categories above, you may not readily agree that your spouse is the most important person in your life and ministry. However, your present challenges do not in anyway negate the fact that, after your relationship with God, the most significant person in your ministry is your spouse. You must therefore give the relationship between you and your spouse the prime place it demands.
It is however also equally important to note that there is no situation in which all hope is lost in your marriage. Even if it appears that things have broken down beyond acceptable levels, God can still do something about your home if He is invited in.
Discussion Points With Your Spouse
* Is there any issue that has affected the position of your spouse in your heart?
* If you are experiencing any challenges in your ministry or any other life endeavor in relation to your spouse, try to be frank with each other as to the reasons why it is so.
My father and God, I receive the grace to relate positively with my spouse so as to bring out the best in him or her as the greatest help for my vision to be actualized in Jesus’ name.
BY REASON OF TENURE, WHICH IS USUALLY ABOUT TWO THIRDS OF YOUR ENTIRE LIFETIME, YOUR SPOUSE WILL BE THE MOST CONSTANT AND SIGNIFICANT PERSON IN YOUR LIFE. -Dr. Mike Oluniyi