Text: Gal. 6:7-9
Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
The sowing mindset in parenting makes you to teach your children the necessity of sowing into the life of others. One great tragedy in the world today is that many individuals are striving to reap when they have not sown and it is leading to so many vices that the human society is battling with. Some of such vices are laziness, stealing and all forms of corruption. These vices are prevalent because we have many who do not seem to know that there is no free meal anywhere; whenever it appears as if you are getting something free, there is someone somewhere who had earlier sowed. There are three vital areas of sowing which your child must learn.
• You must sow spiritually to God and to the life of others. Sowing spiritually unto God means spending time to fellowship with God towards the development of an intimate relationship. Sowing spiritually into the lives of others means that the spiritual welfare through praying for them is important to you.
• You must sow materially to God and into the life of others. Sowing materially unto God is all about being ready to commit your resources to the advancement of the gospel. The starting point of being ready to sow materially into kingdom matters is the faithful payment of your tithe, your bountiful offerings and commitment to kingdom projects. (2Cor.9:6)
There is also the need to sow materially into the life of others especially widows, orphans and generally the needy around us.(Jam.1:27)
• You must sow time in service to God and others. The sowing mindset will make you to let your children know that their time is not only for them. They must be taught that they should invest a considerable percentage of their time in service to God and others.
• You must sow your talent to God and others.
You must let them know through your own demonstration that they need to often sow their talent by using it without expecting to be remunerated.
The possession of the sowing mindset is therefore important for you in raising children that will be useful to God, the society and himself.
DISCUSSION POINTS WITH YOUR SPOUSE
• In what ways are we demonstrating the sowing mindset to our children?
LORD, help me to model the sowing mindset to my children so that they may be useful to you in Jesus’ name.
LEARN TO SOW INTO THE LIFE OF THOSE IN THEIR REAPING SEASON, YOUR OWN SEASON OF REAPING WILL ATTRACT THE SOWING OF OTHERS TOO. -Dr. Mike Oluniyi