CAUSES AND STEPS TO TAKE IF PERSONALITY DISORDER IS SUSPECTED IN YOUR SPOUSE :Couple’s Companion Day 64
MAIN TEXT: Jam.1:5-8
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering..(Jam.1:5)
Causes of Personality Disorders.
There are two main causes of personality disorders; genetic and environmental factors.
Personality traits may be passed to you by your parents through inherited genes. These traits are sometimes called your temperament.
Also, people who are raised in dysfunctional homes during their early life are prone to develop personality disorders later in life. For instance, an only child who lacked constructive criticism while growing up or was raised in an environment of excessive attention and praise may develop narcissistic personality disorder.
If you have been noticing consistent excessive behavior in your spouse, the following are suggested:
* Get more knowledge about personality disorders to know the category which he or she belongs to.
* With more knowledge, you may prayerfully approach the matter by letting your spouse know what you have learnt about personality disorders and how it affects him or her. However, usually because of biases, it may be better to seek medical help for accurate diagnosis.
* If it is still at the mild stage, the two of you may agree on the course of action to be taken which may include self awareness and self control. You may also assist by reminding him or her whenever the tendency comes towards display. However, please note that it may be safer to seek medical help for treatment.
* Seek help if the situation has gone beyond the mild level because in some cases, the person may become violent which may cause self injury or injury to others.
* At every stage, ask for the wisdom of God because you require it to be able to take the right step at the right time.
As a conclusion, personality disorder as a mental disorder may cause a lot of difficulties in a marriage if not diagnosed early or is not treated. If not treated it becomes worse with the passage of time. Things become really difficult if the affected person is uncooperative.
As a believer, however, there is absolutely nothing that God cannot handle. Even when you suspect or discover personality disorder in your spouse, you neither need to panic nor take extreme steps which may prematurely destroy your home. Pray for the leading of the Holy Spirit because there is the will of God in every situation which you may always seek. Except God tells you not to seek medical attention, you may need to do so to prevent the situation from getting worse.
DISCUSSION POINTS WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Personally Disorder is a very delicate matter to discuss even when you notice it in your spouse, there is need for wisdom. Find a way of following the above steps together.
Father, l receive wisdom to handle every difficult situation in my home in Jesus’ name.
LET YOUR LOVE FOR YOUR CHILD BE A GENUINE ONE, WHEN YOU RAISE YOUR CHILD WRONGLY, HE BECOMES A PROBLEM FOR THE FUTURE SPOUSE. – Dr. Mike Oluniyi