Now godliness with contentment is great gain. (1Tim.6:6)
The battle of contentment is all about being contented with your spouse. Marriage creates a world of reality around you, the characteristics of which is peculiar to your own family alone. You will be doing your home a lot of good if you recognize these realities because if you fail to do so, it will be detrimental to the success of your home. The features of other families are different from your own. When you look at what God or circumstances have packaged into another family, that family may appear to be more blessed than your own. Covetousness often comes in naturally as you look at your family and conclude that God has not been fair to you. It is a real battle to prevent yourself and/or your spouse from unnecessary pressures that result from trying to catch up, take possession or bring down others.
There are several reasons why you may need to fight and win the battle of contentment. Some of them are:
– Lack of contentment will make you to be blind to the good features of your marriage.
– If you are not contented with your spouse, you can’t enjoy your family.
– When you are not contented with your family, it will make the home environment to be filled with uncertainty and fear of the next thing that might happen.
– You will see nothing wrong in being cruel and violent against your spouse because you are already obsessed with another person.
– Lack of contentment may expose your life and that of your family members to a lot of dangers.
– It may lead you to doing things that a child of God would not have done.
– It is very difficult for a covetous person to maintain good relationship with God as a result of ungrateful heart.
In other to win the battle of contentment, you may need to note the following:
• Always look at your spouse as the best thing that can ever happen to you.
* Be grateful to God about the circumstances of your family.
• Remember that your spouse, if possessed by another person, would be celebrated despite all the shortcomings you might have discovered in him or her.
• Remember always that one of the most expensive ventures in life is divorce. One may not know how expensive it is until he goes into it.
Discussion Points With Your Spouse
* Look at something in your spouse that makes him or her the best gift that God has ever given you.
* What do you feel should have been mentioned above as one of the reasons why you must win the battle of contentment.
My father and my God, I receive the grace to win the battle of contentment in my home. Let my spouse remain always attractive to me in Jesus’ name.
IF YOU ARE NOT CONTENTED WITH YOUR SPOUSE, IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE YOU DRIFT AWAY FROM HOME. – Dr. Mike Oluniyi